This week, GESF is starting a new weekly Reading Group. Given the recent refugee “crisis” and drum beat of fear over terrorists in their midst, we will be exploring questions around the nature of citizenship, the lack thereof (statelessness), and the pervasive issue of “security”. The full reading list can be accessed here.
We will be meeting on Thursdays at 5pm until mid-December at the Graduate School of Education, University of Bristol. For more information and to join the group, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Politics, Borders and Agamben’s State of Exception
- Security, Borders and Biopolitics
- Arendt and Statelessness
- Borders and Territory theorised
- Globalisation and Borders
We will conclude the Reading Group with two documentary films that explore some of these issues in greater depth:
- 11 February – “Concerning Violence: Nine Scenes from the Anti-Imperialistic Self-defence” (Goran Olsson, 2014 – Sweden – 85min)
- 25 February – “Displaced – France’s Syrian Refugees” (Amel Guettatfi, 2014 – France – 29 min)